THE MISSION OF THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF QUINCY, FLORIDA is to call all people to a personal acceptance of and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior; to provide a center for the worship of the One Triune God and the teachings of Scriptures and Christian doctrine; to nurture Christian behavior as guided by the Holy Spirit, through fellowship, spiritual growth, and a real and caring family attitude; to minister to the needy, poor and disadvantaged; and to support the total Mission of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
In the early 1800s Presbyterian pioneers from the Carolinas and Georgia moved into the area that came to be known as Quincy. They gathered for worship and in 1828 built a church four miles north of Quincy that they called Philadelphia.
In 1833, the Reverend Mr. Daniel Baker organized the First Presbyterian Church in the village of Quincy. Eight men were ordained to serve as Ruling Elders. After a slow start the church was reorganized in 1838 and new elders and deacons were elected.
The first house of worship at our present location, on the corner of King and Madison streets, was built in 1845 and stood for 78 years. In 1923, a new church building was constructed to meet the growing worship and educational needs of the congregation and the community. The sanctuary we use today is that same structure, however, it was remodeled and rededicated in 1969.
The historic Quincy Academy building, located on the corner of King and Adams streets, was acquired in the late 1980s and serves as our Community Outreach Building. It currently houses our Food Bank, Clothes Closet, and meeting place for Scouts.
In 2006, a large field and warehouse adjacent to the existing property was gifted to the Church. Volunteers planted trees and sod and it is now used for recreation and church activities.
Fellowship 9:45 a.m.
A time to meet and greet before Sunday School. Special activities are presented during the Advent and Lent season. Coffee served.
Sunday School 10 a.m.
Age appropriate classes for the children and three adult classes.
Worship Service 11 a.m.
A nursery is provided during Sunday School and the worship service for infants to 3-year-olds. Children’s Church is provided for 4 and 5-year-olds.